FOR ROOT CANAL THERAPY or NON-SURGICAL RETREATMENT PROCEDURES
- Root canal therapy or retreatment therapy procedures are performed using local anesthesia. Nitrous oxide sedation is available for patients requiring sedation. Please let our office know if you require nitrous oxide sedation prior to your appointment.
- In most cases, there are usually no restrictions after the procedure concerning driving or returning to work.
- A doctor is available for consultation at all times should a problem arise after your treatment.
- Continue all medications for blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid problems and any other conditions as recommended by your physician.
- If you have any questions, please call our office prior to your appointment.
FOR ENDODONTIC SURGICAL PROCEDURES
- One to two weeks before procedure: Avoid aspirin unless your physician has prescribed it for you.
- Several days before procedure: Begin prescription mouthwash (Periogard or Peridex).
- Use in the morning, the day of surgery, and continue until bottle is empty.
- Rinse vigorously with 1/2 ounce (marked on cap) of undiluted Peridex (Periogard) for one full minute after breakfast and before bedtime. Or, if you prefer, soak a cotton-tipped applicator with Peridex and place on the site for 20-30 seconds two times per day.
- Since Peridex (Periogard) works by forming an antibacterial coating on the teeth and gums, brushing, flossing, and eating should be done prior to using Peridex (Periogard).
- To increase effectiveness: Avoid any other rinsing (including water) except after brushing. Avoid acidic beverages (all carbonated beverages, orange juice, grapefruit juice, tomato juice, etc.) for one hour prior to rinsing with Peridex (Periogard).
- Side effects: Bitter tasting. Occasional dulling of taste sensation for several hours. Occasional staining of teeth, anterior (white) fillings, and tongue. Avoid coffee, tea, wine, and smoking to reduce the possibility of staining. Any staining of the tongue wears off rather quickly. It may be necessary to have your family dentist polish your teeth to remove any staining.
- One Hour Before Procedure: Brush and floss thoroughly before coming to the appointment. Unless medically contraindicated, take 2 tablets of regular strength acetaminophen (Tylenol).
Please eat a full breakfast or lunch as applicable.
- If you have been advised by your physician or dentist to take an antibiotic pre-medication, please make sure you take the appropriate antibiotic on the day of your appointment.
- If there is a question, please call our office prior to your appointment.